Tuesday, August 28

It is a land, if God exists, he created in anger

"Kinski always says it's full of erotic elements. I don't see so much erotic--I see it more full of obscenity. And nature is violent here, base. I wouldn't see anything erotical here--I would see fornication, asphyxiation, choking, and fighting for survival... and growing... rotting away.... The birds don't sing here, they screech.... It is a land, if God exists, he created in anger.... It's the harmony of overwhelming and collective murder. And we in comparison to the articulate vileness, baseness, and obscenity of all this jungle, we in comparison to this enormous articulation, we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half-finished sentences out of a stupid, suburban novel, a cheap novel.... And we have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery and overwhelming fornication, overwhelming growth, and overwhelming lack of order. Even the stars up here, in the sky, look like a mess.... There is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But, when I say this, I say this all full of admiration of the jungle. It is not that I hate it; I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment." -Werner Herzog, on the making of Fitzcarraldo



And a bonus Herzog rant, this time, on chickens:
Werner Herzog on Chickens from Tom Streithorst on Vimeo.

No comments: