Tuesday, October 18

"All the tourists love it, especially from Russia."

MUSEUM GUIDE: "Anyway, when Tutankhamun was alive, he slept in this bed. Very uncomfortable, very narrow. You know, when I was working with a Russian tour group,when  I told this woman that this is Tutankhamun's bed, she asked me a very strange question: "Where is his wife?" I have nothing to tell her! I wanted to make a joke. I tell her, 'Maybe under the bed.' She told me, 'No, no, not like that. I mean, the bed is so narrow, they must have only done 67.' I asked her, 'What?' She said, 'You know, 67, they do it all over the world, especially in Russia.' I say, 'How old am I? I'm thirty years old, I don't understand what this means, 67.' For thirty minutes she explains it to me. I've been married for nine years, I've never done 67. No joking! And here's his toilet, made of papyrus. All the tourists love it, especially from Russia."

-from an interview by Anna Della Subin with licensed guide Ahmed Mohammed, originally published in Bidoun #25, via Harper's Readings section, November 2011

No comments: