Tuesday, January 11

Return from MacDowell/Winter 2010-11 Mix

I'm just now getting back from The MacDowell Colony in Peterborough, New Hampshire, where I was fortunate enough to spend a month ostensibly completing a draft of my novel manuscript, while also eating and napping as much as I could. I also DJ'ed two Colony dance parties. It was pretty incredible -- and, surprisingly productive -- and I couldn't begin to describe how grateful I am for basically everyone's generosity there.

At any rate, here is a mix I put together for some of the friends I made at the Colony. (Not really for dancing, more like "energetic recreation and socializing"): Part 1 and Part 2.

Playlist:

24.000 Baci - Adriano Celentano
Irene - Caetano Veloso
Unknown - Various Artists*
Phil & The Frantics - I Must Run
Meas Samon - Various Artists*
Marathon - Tennis
Along Comes Mary - R. Stevie Moore
Lola - The Raincoats
Salvaje - Los Saicos
Ave Maria - Caetano Veloso
Vilaines Filles, Mauvais Garçons - Serge Gainsbourg
Parantheses - The Blow
Go (Club Mix) - Tones on Tail
Make Believe Waltz - Som Imaginário
Roam - The B-52's
Les Fleurs - Minnie Riperton
If I Can't Have You - Etta James
Pilgrimage - R.E.M
Like A Rolling Stone - The Soup Greens
What Would I Want? Sky - Animal Collective
Black and White - The dB's
What Am I Gonna Do - The Dovers
Round and Round - Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White - The Standells
California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas 

*from the excellent Cambodian Cassette Archives compilation put out by Sublime Frequencies

Happy New Year!

A brief photo journal from my stay:

my studio, irving fine
 manuscript adjustment

frozen lake

 jonathan ames: "writer and taker of naps"

 anonymous installation with colored string outside my studio

picture in midst of storm, snowplow approaching in distance

some kind of machinery/rig that i liked

 frozen lake/waterfall in downtown peterborough

snow in trees, day after large snowstorm

 this is the bike that i borrowed while i was there

self-portrait at 28, on bridge, several miles from artist colony

No comments: